"Crip course"?! (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 27 19:42:44 UTC 2010

FWIW, sources that I stumbled across while trolling for "crip shot"
suggest that "snap" is the oldest term. A newspaper cite reads
something like:

?"Among college students, 'snap [course?]' is being replaced by
'crip[ple?] [course?],' perhaps under the influence of [the name of
some sport, probably baseball]."?

"Gut" in the relevant sense is part of my passive vocabulary. I'm
familiar with it from some unremembered time and place.

-Wilson

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC
<Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: "Crip course"?! (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> Crip course -- not in OED
>

> _Galveston [TX] Daily News_ 11/16/1917 p 3 col 1
>
> "He denied that students take it as an incidental to fill in to get the
> necessary amount of credits toward a degree, as it requires work, and is
> no crip course." [Newspaperarchive]
>

> James Aswell, "My New York" [syndicated column from Central Press]
> _Berkeley [CA] Daily Gazette_ 10 Sep 1934, p 4 col 5
> "But at Columbia she entered a "crip" course in photography for credits
> -- and took it up as a hobby." [Google news archive]
>

> I've also seen it called "snap course" and "gut course".

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain