Off the ol' hookeroo

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Apr 28 17:09:17 UTC 2010

I suppose the meaning is clear:  Out of a difficult situation; off the spot.

Presumably from "off the hook" -- OED hook n., sense 15.f. "off the
hook: out of a difficult situation."  The opposite of "on the hook"
--  sense 2.b. "on the hook: in various fig. uses, e.g. ensnared, in
the power (of someone); in one's grasp."

If the question is "where does *hookeroo* come from?", perhaps "hook"
plus the "factitious slang suffix" (OED) -eroo.

Joel