Off the ol' hookeroo

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 28 19:01:24 UTC 2010

OED is misleading on _buckaroo_. Its earliest exx. (1827, 1889,1890, 1904)
are far more like anglicized pronunciations of _vaquero_ than they are like
_buckaroo_.

Its first clear ex. of _buckeroo_ [sic] is from 1907.

However:

1881 _The Idaho Avalanche_ (Silver City) (March 19) (19th C. U.S.
Newspapers): John Connors, "the bad buckaroo."

With uncertain nuance:

1881 _Reno Evening Gazette_  (Oct. 18) (Newspaper Archive): Had another dead
thing on that Churchill buckeroo horse. Bet I can beat 'im runnin' myself.

It is thus just conceivable that U.S. _buckaroo_ orig. combined "bucker" and
"kangaroo" and was first applied to horses.  Awareness of "vaquero" may have
aided the transition.

"Buckaroo/buckeroo" becomes frequent only after ca1900.

For the form, cf. Australian "jackaroo/jackeroo" (OED:1878).

JL