"Wop" in 1908?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 28 23:18:22 UTC 2010

The cite provided by M-W is accurate, but I believe it represents an
obsolete, broader sense of "wop," more or less equivalent to current "jerk."

The earliest ex. to hand that unmistakably designates Italians (OED: 1910):

1909 _N.Y. Times_ (Feb. 23) 4: A crowd of men and boys followed four or five
Italians along Canal Street last night, tormenting them by calling them
"Waps" and "Ginneys" [both sic]. Finally near Orchard Street the Italians
turned to fight.

JL