one more tautology

Thu Apr 29 03:28:01 UTC 2010

John Locke uses a remarkably concise meta-tautophrase several times in
"An Essay Concerning Human Understanding":

What is, is.

http://books.google.com/books?id=p608AAAAYAAJ&q=%22What+is+is%22#v=snippet&

There is an anti-tautophrase based on a different sense of the word
fair. The proverb incorporates an explanation for its anti-tautology.

Citation: 1804, Proverbs; or, The Manual of Wisdom, Page 24, Tabart and Co.

Fair is not fair, but that which pleaseth.

http://books.google.com/books?id=rHoCAAAAYAAJ&q=%22not+fair%22#v=snippet&

Garson