how is the prefix "ex" really spoken (UNCLASSIFIED)

Geoffrey Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Thu Apr 29 10:47:27 UTC 2010

Verner's Law (something anyone who has taken even one introductory course in Linguistics usually learns about) deals not with vowels but with _consonants_. Although it applied to the change from Proto-Indo-European to Germanic, its effects are visible (or it's reapplying--your choice) in the examples cited.

>From Wikipedia:

"Verner's law, stated by Karl Verner in 1875, describes a historical sound change in the Proto-Germanic language whereby voiceless fricatives *f, *þ, *s, *h  (including *hʷ ), when immediately following an unstressed syllable in the same word, underwent voicing and became respectively the fricatives *b, *d, *z, *g (and *gʷ)." (Verner's Law entry, 1st Para.)

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)