"What are you doing in _those_ underwear?" [NT]

Thu Apr 29 19:43:56 UTC 2010

Ron Butters wrote:
> What Cary Grant said was "gay," which in the 1930s ddn't mean 'homosexual' or (arguably) 'transvestite' but was associated with skimpy garments worn by burlesque dancing-girls. Of course, he was wearing Hepburn's nigjtclothes, not her undergarments. And his questioner said "clothes," not "underwear"!

Here is a link to a YouTube clip of the relevant scene with Cary Grant
in Bringing Up Baby together with an except of dialog from IMDB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A8U6aUPW48
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029947/quotes

Mrs. Random: Well who are you?
David Huxley: I don't know. I'm not quite myself today.
Mrs. Random: Well, you look perfectly idiotic in those clothes.
David Huxley: These aren't my clothes.
Mrs. Random: Well, where are your clothes?
David Huxley: I've lost my clothes!
Mrs. Random: But why are you wearing *these* clothes?
David Huxley: Because I just went gay all of a sudden!
Mrs. Random: Now see here young man, stop this nonsense. What are you doing?
David Huxley: I'm sitting in the middle of 42nd Street waiting for a bus.