climate quotes (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thu Apr 29 22:10:22 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

Caveats: NONE

A discussion board I frequent mentioned quotes from Robert A. Heinlein,
including:

"Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get."
http://www.heinleinnexus.org/NEXUSFORUM/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=669

The list of quotes in question seems to be fairly accurate.  While
checking on this particular quote, I also found it attributed to Mark
Twain (isn't everything?) and atmospheric research scientist Michael
Glantz.   Glantz did say this, unattributed and without quotes, in
_Climate Affairs:  A Primer_ Wash DC:  Island Press, 2003 p 41.

Heinlein was slightly misquoted -- his original statement was "Climate
is what we expect, weather is what we get."  _Time Enough for Love_  NY
GP Putnam's Sons 1973 (p. 358 in the 1988 Ace paperback edition)

I cannot find the quote, or any close variant, any earlier.

The closest thing I can find from Twain is:

"Climate lasts all the time and weather only for a few days."  Mark
Twain's review of _English as She is Taught_, (Caroline B. Le Row, NY:
Cassell & Company, Limited. 1887) reproduces this quote from the book,
which is a collection of answers to questions asked of schoolchildren
(Le Row was a teacher). [Mark Twain, "ENGLISH AS SHE IS TAUGHT."
_Century Illustrated Magazine_ Apr 1887; VOL. XXXIII., No. 6.; pg. 934
col 1.]  So, an anonymous student originally said it, Le Row collected
it into a book, and Twain reviewed the book with this as a sample quote.
120 years later, Twain generally gets the credit.