how is the prefix "ex" really spoken (UNCLASSIFIED)

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Fri Apr 30 02:00:14 UTC 2010

The exceptions are actually totally regular--the voicing of Verner's Law is between vowels, and in the 'exceptions' cited there is another (pronounced) consonant following--exTreme, exClaim etc.

Intervocalic voicing is a very frequent process in languages. Phonological processes normally follow quite general principles and the pronunciation of 'x' in English is no 'exception'. For those of us who believe phonological behavior is motivated by physiological and perceptual pressures this is not surprising (see, for example, Nathan, Geoffrey. 2008. Phonology: A cognitive grammar introduction. Amsterdam: Benjamins--shameless plug...)

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)