"Wop" in 1908?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 30 02:48:28 UTC 2010

FWIW, I heard or read somewhere, back in the '70's, that, like Garrett
Morris, (European) Italians "like a gal wif a big butt." The speaker
or the writer went on to claim that women with one leg slightly
shorter than the other were considered especially desirable because
the effort involved in walking developed their glutei to the maximi.

To the extent that I can recall the circumstances, the speaker or the
writer did not represent this claim as either a slur or a joke, but
simply as a "natchul fack," as the boyz N the hood would say, about
the males among Italian "country folk."

IAC, my point is that it "may" be the case that "big mattress" = "big
butt" and that "walk joust like a kangaroo" refers to walking with a
slight limp.

OT: For those who like puns, the black band leader, Lucky Millinder,
wrote and recorded a 78 with the title, "D-Natural Blues, meant to be
understood as "dih natchul blues" and not as something that could have
just as easily been titled, "Blues in D-Natural."

-Wilson

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "Wop" in 1908?
>
> I'm stumped by "mattress" too.  Bustles were out by '08, though that would
> have been my guess.  Anything earthier would presumably have been taboo
> in song from a prominent publisher like Witmark.
>
> Other than that, no suggestions.
>
> Walking like a "kangaroo" may humorously imply a springy step. Maybe.
>
> I wonder if Brockman inspired Chico Marx.  See photo on the cover of the
> sheet music.
>
> JL
>

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Baker, John M. <JMB at stradley.com> wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       "Baker, John M." <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>
>> Subject:      Re: "Wop" in 1908?

>>        What do the lyrics mean when they say that his ex-girlfriend has
>> "got big mattress and a blond-a curl"?  Presumably it's not the literal
>> meaning of "mattress."  I'm also a bit bemused to see the assertion that
>> she "walk joust like a big Kangaroo," in a context that seems to imply
>> that this would be an attractive thing to do.
>>

>> John Baker

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain