Submariner (was "thousand-yard stare")

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 2 00:35:41 UTC 2010

Well after the War, too (again); Prince Namor was part of my teens. But the
distinctive spelling made the pronunciation explicit: "the Sub-Mariner" (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namor). For undersea Navy men, like my
ex-brother-in-law #1 (Radioman Chief in the nuclear sub service), I've never
known any pron but "submaRINer". He didn't have the stare, though.

m a m