Is my accent a crime?

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Mon Aug 2 17:47:56 UTC 2010

That's twice today I've been tricked into going to a fox news site. I feel
unclean.
DAD

Save the Earth. It's the only known planet with beer.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2010 2:28 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Is my accent a crime? (UNCLASSIFIED)

---

The blogosphere is ablaze with condemnations of the "law." I'm beginning to
wonder very seriously if there even is one:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/22/arizona-seeks-reassign-heavily-ac
cented-teachers/

JL

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Subject:      Re: Is my accent a crime? (UNCLASSIFIED)

---

> The precise wording of the law is elduing me, but here are a couple of
> seemingly useful sites. The first gives some background; the second is the
> CNN report:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/30/arizona-ethnic-studies-cl_n_558731.
html

http://amfix.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/24/arizona-wants-to-reassign-teachers-wit
h-accents/

> JL
>

> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 10:31 AM, George Thompson <george.thompson at nyu.edu
> >wrote:

---

> > > ungrammatical, even
> > >
> > > Anyone who has gone through an engineering curriculum at a state
school
> > > in the last generation probably has horror stories of trying to
> > > understand a lecture given by a non-native born grad student whose
> > > accent was so thick as to make communication impossible.  I know I do.
> > >

> > Was there not a court case perhaps 30 years ago, in which a university
> was
> > sued for using graduate students who were incapable of speaking
> intelligible
> > English to work off their scholarship & stipend to teach undergraduate
> > courses?
> > As I recall, the plaintiff's position was that he paid his tuition to
> take
> > the course because he wanted to learn calculus, or whatever, and that it
> was
> > a form of fraud to assign the course to a teacher whose command of
> English
> > was inadequate to communicate his knowledge of the subject.
> >
> > I did note with interest that the 3 murderers who escaped from the
> Arizona
> > penitentiary last week all had surnames that suggested that they were
> Real
> > Americans and fluent speakers of English.
> >
> > GAT
> >
> > George A. Thompson
> > Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern
> > Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

03:35:00