Is my accent a crime? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 2 23:16:57 UTC 2010

Being monolingual (Latin in high school) I'm not a party to this discussion, but I would agree with the thoughts below from another list.

Of course this is a sensitive issue, and there can be excellent teachers with accents and poor ones with no accent. Nevertheless, as an adult language learner, I prefer to learn a foreign language from a native speaker with no accent. I would not want to learn Russian, Portuguese or Korean ( the languages I am currently studying)  from an English speaking American, no matter how well he or she spoke the language.

After many years of learning French from English speaking teachers in Canada, it was only when I finally got a true French speaker as a teacher, at university, that I became truly committed to learning French.

Author deleted

see truespel.com phonetic spelling