Whom Hispanics call "Hispanic" -- or not

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 3 05:52:55 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> "Latino/Latina"

FWIW, my alma mater, UC Davis, offers degrees in "_Chicano/a_ Studies."

Further FWIW, in BE, such people are generally referred to as simply
"Spanish. (NYC is probably an exception, at least WRT Puerto-Ricans,
but that's just a WAG. The City is a place that BE-speakers go to, not
come from.) Africano-Latinos/as who choose to assimilate into the
African-Anglo community simply become "members of the tribe," the same
as everyone else.

Back in Saint Louis, one of his fellow barbers once asked James Lopez
why his name wasn't "Roderigo" or some such. Lopez replied that he
bore such a name, but chose not to use it.

I've long been under the impression that, in Florida, a Cuban-American
is a "Cuban," regardless of race, but that's just another WAG.
Elsewhere, St.L., L.A., UC Davis, Boston-area, IME,
Africano-Americanos Latinos > African-Americans, even when their
features, hair, and complexion would permit them to be at least
un-black, even if not white.

-Wilson

--
-Wilson