Is my accent a crime? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 4 03:37:01 UTC 2010

I've dealt with accent and intelligibility at the college level, not
in K-12, and in higher education I think the situation is a good bit
different.  When students or parents would raise concerns over accent,
usually foreign, I'd take the opportunity to explain that there are a
lot of Englishes around the world just as legitimate as the various
American Standards.  I'd also explain that part of earning a degree is
learning to understand the English of other educated speakers who come
from elsewhere, and that such diversity among Standards is not
inherently bad but is part of the richness of English.  Of course,
this explanation can't excuse the teaching assistant or faculty member
whose English is not just accented from the student's perspective but
is simply not at a level of mastery that teaching in an American
university requires.  Most universities do have training programs for
TAs and provide help for such faculty.

Herb