earworm (was Re: Secret OED files uncovered)

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 6 18:10:42 UTC 2010

"Earworm" ("a catchy tune that frequently gets stuck in your head") not
suitable for OED? It's standard among my online friends. Let's see...

2,130,000 rgh

*
http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20030227/songs-stick-in-everyones-head
Songs Stick in Everyone's Head
'Earworms' Bother Women, Musicians Most
By Daniel J. DeNoon
WebMD Health News

Feb. 27, 2003 ... Earworms are those songs, jingles, and tunes that get
stuck inside your head. You're almost certain to know the feeling, according
to marketing professor James J. Kellaris, PhD, of the University of
Cincinnati.
Nearly 98% of people have had songs stuck in their head, Kellaris reported
at the recent meeting of the Society for Consumer Psychology.
SOURCE: "Dissecting Earworms: Further Evidence on the 'Song-Stuck-in-Your
Head' Phenomenon, James J. Kellaris, PhD, presentation to Society for
Consumer Psychology, Feb. 22, 2003.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earworm

* http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ear%20worm
1.     ear worm
March 1, 2005 Urban Word of the Day
Song that is stuck in your head
I have an ear worm. I keep hearing the "Jeopardy" tune over and over and
over.
by maddogmary Oct 20, 2003

* http://www.wordspy.com/words/earworm.asp
Gives as earliest citation Howard Rheingold, "Untranslatable words," The
Whole Earth Review, December 22, 1987, 2-paragraph quote

m a m