Watermelons are long to grow

Damien Hall djh514 at YORK.AC.UK
Sat Aug 7 16:55:03 UTC 2010

I got this reply to my earlier post. As the sender didn't send it to the
list as a whole, I'll not say here who it was in case they would rather I
didn't, but the reply helps me to make my point better than (I think) I
originally did.

>I understood it was a way to say they "TAKE* *long to grow," just that the
>verb TAKE was elided to create a more mnemonic zeugma. But maybe it's too
>simplistic a reading.

I think this is true: it _is_ a way to say that watermelons take long to
grow, inasmuch as it means the same thing. But you wouldn't be able to use
'long' in a zeugma with (what looks and sounds like) a tough-movement
construction ('watermelons are dear to buy') if 'long' couldn't also be
used in a tough-movement construction. Zeugma like this is only permitted
between parallel constructions. Therefore, I think that the only reason I
can get that sense out of the words in the sentence is that the surface
construction, tough-movement, makes sense with 'long' in it; this is
surprising to me. Here's a more concise paragraph explaining my reasoning,
which has taken me a while to work out!

I think that the fact that 'Watermelons are ... long to grow' can be made
sense of, and that on the surface at least the construction looks like
tough-movement, is evidence that 'long' in the time sense is, or is
becoming, an adjective that can be used in a tough-movement construction.
This is surprising to me because, in my grammar, adjectives that can be
used in tough-movement are all capable of being used as predicate
adjectives ('The problem is DIFFICULT', 'Melons are DEAR') as well as
attributive ones ('It's a DIFFICULT problem', 'These are DEAR melons'). I
find 'long' as an attributive adjective completely acceptable, of course
('It took a LONG time'), but a bit questionable as a predicate adjective (?
'The time was LONG'). However, I think 'long' in that position 'ought to'
be acceptable, even if only poetically, because 'short' is acceptable
poetically in that sense ('Time is SHORT' is good poetically or for effect,
and of course 'It took a SHORT time' is fine in all senses).

I think that makes sense!

Damien