another -gate (UNCLASSIFIED)

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 9 15:51:31 UTC 2010

Two things that the report apparently did not consider:

1) the problem is generated by the car hardware and not the physical
locking of the acceleration pedal. In other words, if the on-board
electronics interprets a signal coming from the pedals as
acceleration, there will be no record of the brake pedal even having
been pressed. So it becomes a chicken-and-egg question.

2) If indeed the trouble is human error, Toyota may still be to blame
for the simple reason that the problem is far more prevalent in Toyota
vehicles (although not even distributed between those vehicles) than
in others. That points to a design problem, not a mechanical problem.
But the company is still responsible for design flaws (see under "Ford
Pinto", etc.).

Either way, I would not jump to conclusions that NHTSA is backing
Toyota (although WSJ certainly is).

VS-)