Where "down" is in New England.

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Aug 9 16:25:03 UTC 2010

I understand Ben's limitations.  (I am currently trying -- without
success -- to turn a 110-page essay into something shorter that a
journal will even consider riffling.)  I was merely expressing my
personal disappointment, from up here in Arlington, MA.

I've always taken "Upper Cape" as meaning closer to where people
actually live (as opposed to spend their summers or retire), and
"Lower Cape as meaning farther away.  But I suppose that doesn't
prove anything about etymology.

Joel