(A little OT) Re: "Fog in English Channel: Continent Isolated" antedated to 1931

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 11 13:51:28 UTC 2010

I have seen similar, apocryphal headlines relating to Boston baseball, e.g., "World Ends in Nuclear War, Sox Game Cancelled."

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Bonnie Taylor-Blake [taylor-blake at NC.RR.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:40 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: (A little OT) Re: "Fog in English Channel: Continent Isolated"              antedated to 1931

Michael Quinon commented:

> The story belongs with "Small Earthquake in Chile", another apocryphal
> Times headline (said to have been the result of a competition
> among sub-editors to find the most boring headline and to have been won by
Claud
> Cockburn).

On the topic of apocryphal headlines, folklorist Sandy Hobbs has a fun
analysis of "parochial headlines" said to have appeared after the sinking of
the Titanic (e.g., "NORWICH MAN DROWNED IN ATLANTIC," "TITANIC SINKS: LOCAL
MAN LOSES POCKET WATCH").

http://www.folklore.ee/FOAFtale/ftn61.htm#titanic

-- Bonnie