"Fog in English Channel: Continent Isolated" antedated to 1931 (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Aug 11 14:27:03 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

[letter to editor] _The Times of London_ 3 Nov 1939 p 9 col 5
"A little over a year ago I remember telling to an amusing little German
in Berlin the venerable chestnut about our insularity which alleges that
in the eighties of the last century there appeared the following heading
in the columns of your newspaper:  "Dense Fog in Channel:  Continent
Isolated for Three Days."
[note:  searching through the _Times_ database does not confirm this
headline]

Behalf Of

------
> -
>
> YBQ has "Continent Isolated" from 1932.
> A Google Book snippet is incorrectly dated 1930, but the following is
> confirmed on paper:
>
> August, 1931. Bulletin of the Taylor Society vol. 16 no. 4
> "International Planning: A Scotch Educator's View," James Alexander
Bowie,