real time = 'a point or period of time in actuality'; (also adj.)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 11 14:32:45 UTC 2010

Though it seems "obvious" in retrospect, "real time" is, as Larry notes, an
innovation.  The customary idioms in the 1988 contexts would have been "(in)
reality" and "actual."

My hunch is that this apparently computer-inspired "real time" didn't hit
the mainstream till the '80s, when home computing did.  Dan's 1972 "real
time" means the same thing but looks to have been inspired by mere punning
on "reel time."

We' re just considering terminology, not the concept of flashback versus the
narrative present.

JL