Why subjunctive?

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Thu Aug 12 17:04:02 UTC 2010

Let's not get our knickers in a twist. I think what we've got here is idiom.
Do a Google search for "if ever there were" using the quotation marks to
search exact phrase. (I was going to copy a bunch of the cites here, but
thought it would be easier just to suggest that whoever is interested make
the search.) You'll come up with 2,800,000 hits for the exact phrase, along
the lines of "If ever there were a reason to watch Mad Men..." and 2,799,999
others. There is a less idiomatic - i.e. more grammatically straight forward
- future use of "if ever", as in "If ever you are in the neighbourhood,
please drop by". And other stuff.
DAD

Save the Earth. It's the only known planet with beer.

Poster:       Ronald Butters <ronbutters at AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Why subjunctive?
---

HELP! SOMETHING IS NOT COMPUTING HERE IN MY BRAIN. I don't understand =
how saying "If ever there WAS a place in need of more comedy, and less =
comity" would make the grammar in line with the meaning. I can't see the =
"if" clause as anything other than counterfactual. It still means the =
Senate has too little comedy and too much civility. So the problem, just =
between us wee grammarians, is that the order of abstract nouns is =
reversed. The TIMES writer means (maybe)  "If ever there WAS a place in =
need of more comity, and less comedy."

Or what?

On Aug 12, 2010, at 11:15 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:

>> Given the mention of hypercorrection in that paragraph, I'm guessing =
LH was
-----
-----
03:34:00