Phrase: smart as a box of rocks (1982 Nov 3) dumb as a box of rocks (1973 Oct 29)

Gregory McNamee gm at GREGORYMCNAMEE.COM
Fri Aug 13 14:56:13 UTC 2010

IIRC, in one of those great Foghorn Leghorn Warner Bros. cartoons of my childhood, said Foghorn says of either Egghead Jr. or Henery [sic] Hawk, "Nice kid... About as smart as a box of hammers, though." This would date to between ca. 1942 and 1961. I'll undertake the pleasant task of reviewing my collection and seeing if I can't pinpoint episode, date, and the exact quotation.