"PIN" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 13 14:59:54 UTC 2010

Sorry, but this conversation seems a bit divorced from reality.

"NBA" and "NFL" represent acronyms for long-standing names of leagues,
which is why "the NBA" and "the NFL" have been used for decades.

For most of their history, the American League (AL) and the National
League (NL) had no clear terminology for their combined activities,
the closest being "Major League", often used in the phrase "ML
baseball". It wasn't until the late 90s that the Office of the
Commissioner of ML baseball started referring to itself as "Major
League Baseball". (The AL and NL as organizations were disbanded in
2000.)

I would expect the language to somewhat reflect the history.

DanG