Where "down" is in Old England

Mailbox mailbox at GRAMMARPHOBIA.COM
Fri Aug 13 16:55:30 UTC 2010

--On den 10 augusti 2010 11:53 +0100 Damien Hall <djh514 at YORK.AC.UK> wrote:

>> Outside the Oxford and Cambridge context, as has been remarked, one can go
>> 'up' to London from anywhere in the country, but it's my impression
>> (confirmed by a straw poll here in the office) that only high-society
>> people do that. So a high-society person might go up to London from his
>> family seat in the North of the country; for everyone else, the
>> geographical 'up = North' sense trumps everything.

I've always been fascinated by the "ups" and the "downs" in 19th-century English novels (my favorite reading).

Here's a sentence from Trollope's The Eustace Diamonds (the journey referred to begins in London): "Lady Eustace had been rather cross on the journey down to Scotland."

And later: " 'My cousin attends me down to Scotland.' "

In all, the phrase "down to Scotland" appears 12 times in the novel  and "down in Scotland" 10 times, all from the perspective of points to the south, mostly London.

Pat O'Conner