Heard on Springer: old-school BE; BE "BIN" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 13 23:11:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC
<Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: Heard on Springer: old-school BE; BE "BIN" (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> I believe I have heard "I done bin told you", but I don't recall if it
> was from a black speaker, or a white guy parodying AAVE.

Good enough for government work, I suppose. Youneverknow. IAC, it's
kinda hard to get prescriptive about non-standard speech.

FWIW, I prefer,

"I BIN done told you."

But, if someone used the sentence that you quote, I think that I could
probably control my annoyance.;-)

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain