A saying: the oyster and the crab

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Aug 14 00:24:25 UTC 2010

I relished the following.  I don't see it elsewhere on Google.

"While the Oyster opens its shell to the Sun, the Crab thrusteth in
its Claws, and devoureth the Oyster."

In other words, don't be idle.  A Grimm variation on The Ant and the
Grasshopper?

S.D. [Samuel Danforth], _The Cry of Sodom Enquired into; Upon
Occasion of The Arraignment and Condemnation of Benjamin Goad, For
his Prodigious Villany_ (Cambridge [Mass.]: Marmaduke Johnson, 1674), p. 19.

The "prodigious villany" was bestiality, for which he was hanged, but
only after witnessing the beast "knockt on the head."  Both were
thrown into the same pit.

Joel