"take a Dixie"

Sun Aug 15 22:15:46 UTC 2010

One meaning of "took a dixie" in 1997 is "took a fall (from a horse or pony)".

Cite: 1997, Victory Ride: Volume 8 of Short Stirrup Club by Allison
Estes, Pocket Books. (Google Books snippet view, Data may be
inaccurate)

Page 31
 "Well, you took a big dixie, didn't you?" Perry pointed at Amanda,
still enjoying the episode.

Page 32
 "What is a 'dixie'?" Amanda said disdainfully, as if the word somehow
tasted bad.
 "What's a dixie?" Perry began laughing all over again. "It's when you
fall. You fell right down off ...

Page 100
 "Well. Just look who took a 'dixie,' Amanda said with a smug smile.
It wasn't very nice, but nobody could blame Amanda, after the way
Perry had ...

http://books.google.com/books?id=WuH5jVLIBXcC&q=dixie#search_anchor

This agrees in part with what Larry Horn found at WikiAnswers.

Google Answers has a question in 2003 that suggests two meanings:
"took a dixie" meaning a "fall" or "disappearance", as in "taking a powder"