Another Dialect Notes 1909 note

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 16 09:32:29 UTC 2010

Pronunciation seems to follow the path of least resistence.  Swapping ~b for ~p in Baptist, becoming ~Babtis is an example.  The ~b is easier to say then the ~p by leaving off the fricative part of the ~p.  And why go to the trouble of saying that last ~t.

I think that unfortunate awe-dropping is another example of swapping of an easier-to-say sound for a harder one.  The "awe" sound takes more mouth work.  Replacing it with "ah" makes it easier to say.

Maybe kids learning to talk have a lot to do with future pronunciation.  My cousin's son is always called "Bee" because his sister couldn't say "baby".  This was convenient because father and son had the same name, and you knew who "Bee" was.

see truespel.com phonetic spelling