"take a Dixie"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 16 14:52:56 UTC 2010

The late '70s date suggests that "take a Dixie " means "take a fall" (when
it does mean that) because of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down."

Down, get it?  And the people were singin', "Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah
nyah!"  Well, maybe not "nyah."  But I do think the song is a likely
suspect.

If anybody needs to leave the room to "take a Dixie," it may have
been influenced by the Dixie Cups used for urine specimens.  And leaving the
room is just a subset of leaving in general or "taking a powder" as the
prehistoric set would have it.

JL