"See at" = see to, check; "see in" = look at

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Aug 21 16:14:46 UTC 2010

At 1:02 AM -0400 8/21/10, Wilson Gray wrote:
>On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
>
>>  Gonna miss your baby, from rolling in your arms.
>
>It'a black thang. You wouldn't understand.'-)
>
>But, seriously, folks... I've never heard anybody's version of this
>song. So, I hesitate even to try a WAG. (I'm assuming that you're
>pondering the syntax and not the semantics.)
>--
>-Wilson

Yes, the syntax; the transparency of the semantics (and the
usefulness of that "from" for the meter) is probably why nobody (and
there have been over a dozen covers of "I Know You Rider" by white
blues/folk/rock/bluegrass singers or groups*) seems to have changed
the form.

LH

*e.g. Grateful Dead, Joan Baez, Hot Tuna, Jorma Kaukonen, Erica
Wheeler, Seldom Scene