"Thanks! I Needed That!" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Aug 25 16:28:05 UTC 2010

> Sean Connery in _Playboy_, Nov 1965:  "I don't think there is anything
> particularly wrong about hitting a woman ... If a woman is a bitch, or
> hysterical, or bloody-minded continually, then I'd do it." "

Then there was Monk Eastman, a noted thug and gang leader in NYC in the late 1890s to mid 1900s.  It was his proud boast that he had never struck a woman, without taking his brass knuckles off first.

(Eastman's story is pretty interesting -- in 1905 he tried to mug a young drunk (though as the leader of a very extensive gang, he should have thought such a stunt beneath him); unfortunately the drunk was the son of a wealthy and well-connected man -- who had hired Pinkerton detectives to follow his son on his benders and keep him out of trouble.  Eastman pounced on the kid, the Pinkertons pounced on Eastman; neither the Pinkertons nor the father could be bought off, so Eastman went to prison; he got out in time to enlist in the Army for WWI, and served with sufficient distinction that his commanding officer recommended him for a pardon, which Governor FDR granted.  Eastman couldn't stay straight, got into bootlegging, and was killed in ca. 1920 by his partner.)

GAT

George A. Thompson