findability--a real word?!

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Wed Aug 25 18:32:45 UTC 2010

My impression is that non-Latinate roots suffixed with -able are iffy, admitted only because of their utility, but taking the derivation further with -ability increases mental barriers to acceptance. Not permanently, of course (learnability, e.g.), but enough to prompt the "is that a word?" response. That's my reaction to findability, readability, and (from a recently revived beer commercial campaign from the 1980s) drinkability.

Neal