"go for the downs"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 27 01:25:41 UTC 2010

Not only is it not in HDAS, I've never heard of it before.

How common can it be?  Did it once refer to actual place near a ballpark
called "The Downs"?

I watched Yankees baseball on WPIX for ten years in the '50s and '60s, and
the Mets on WOR for years after that and never noticed its use.

JL