"go for the downs"

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 27 03:57:55 UTC 2010

I never heard the phrase before. GN shows some usages in the 70s. I
would be more likely to use "swing for the fences" or "trying to take
the pitcher downtown" to mean the same thing -- a hard swing. I don't
know if "downtown" is the source.

One thought -- for many years, the stadium for the Dodgers' main farm
team was Delorimier Downs in Montreal. Perhaps there was a
strategically placed sign?

DanG