Eponymous Baseball-Related Disease Names Not in OED

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Sun Aug 29 02:14:52 UTC 2010

Years ago I read the autobiography of boxer Rocky Graziano.  As a teenager he got into trouble with the law and was brought to juvenile court, where the judge was Lou Gehrig. And I remember reading that Gehrig continued this service, even when he couldn't lift his arms any more.  Clearly his mind was funtioning very well despite his terrible illness; otherwise the court would not have let him serve as judge.

Gerald Cohen

Message from Laurence Horn, Sat 8/28/2010 8:00 PM:

<snip>
"...my neurologist colleagues also note that he [Lou Gehrig] didn't seem to
have the cognitive deficits associated with the "punchdrunk fighter"
syndrome, FWIW.
<snip>