William Blake or Jim Morrison Quote

Mon Aug 30 02:36:04 UTC 2010

Below is a verified passage from Newsweek in 1967 that contains the
quotation by Door's member Ray Manzarek that was probably massaged and
reassigned to Jim Morrison and William Blake.

Cite: 1967 November 6, Newsweek, Music: This Way to the Egress, Page
101, Column 2, Newsweek, Inc. (Verified on microfilm)

"There are things you know about," says 25-year-old Manzarek, whose
specialty is playing the organ with one hand and the bass piano with
the other, "and things you don't, the known and the unknown, and in
between are the doors—that's us. We're saying that you're not only
spirit, you're also this very sensuous being. That's not evil, that's
a really beautiful thing. Hell appears so much more fascinating and
bizarre than heaven. You have to 'break on through to the other side'
to become the whole being."

Please double check for typos,
Garson

Garson O'Toole wrote
> Here is a citation to a quotation by The Doors co-founder Ray Manzarek
> in Newsweek in 1967. The cite appears in a Master of Arts Thesis by
> Melissa Ursula Dawn Goldsmith at Louisiana State University. I will
> try to verify it on microfilm tomorrow: ...
> http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-11162007-105056/unrestricted/Goldsmith_thesis.pdf

Fred Shapiro wrote