More 1908 Dialect Notes on E 'Bama (white) English

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 30 13:27:16 UTC 2010

I forgot about "tough titty," but, as Robin and Dan indicate, it's a frozen
phrase.  The HDAS files take it back to the '30s, but GB offers a believable
(though unverified) ex. from 1921.

"Tough shit" (WWII; earlier?) was far more common.

JL