gone parabolic (UNCLASSIFIED)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Dec 2 21:35:54 UTC 2010

Isn't there something wrong in the first place of thinking of
increasing curvature with a parabola?  As the arms of a parabola move
further away from the center, doesn't the curvature continually
diminish and approach a straight line?

The analogy of ever increasing values to a parabola seems to me
instead the progression of the arms to infinity, as contrasted with
the other conic section, the ellipse, which closes upon itself.

Joel