The new on-line OED -- quotations missing?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Dec 2 21:53:43 UTC 2010

At 12/2/2010 12:20 PM, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
>Can you describe what you mean by "extra work"? You just click
>on "Show Less" and it goes away.
>
>To set the shorter or longer forms as a permanent option, you
>can use "My preferences" in the "My OED" account page.

I had not yet investigated "My OED".  In the old interface, in the
first place "hide" was the default.  And in a given session once I
reselected "hide" it remained in effect for future searches.  I don't
think that's the case in the new interface  Even if "My OED" sets my
default for my future sessions, how lasting for a single session are
"Show" and "Hide"?  That was where I had the impression extra work
was needed -- that I had to click on "Hide" for each new search.

But I have not done serious, organized investigation (gamma testing?)
yet.  I'll certainly develop some opinions about how well the Help
info and the "tour" educate me!  :-)

> > And in the "From the second edition (1989)" display, I
> > don't see any way to suppress it.
>
>No; this is the same as with the "Earlier version" view on the
>previous version of OED Online. When you look at the older
>entries, you just get the entire entry. It's meant more for
>historical comparison than for active use, so these features
>were felt to be unnecessary.

No problem here.  I was under the misapprehension that the "Nov.
2010" version was giving me different content from the previous
on-line version, and that "Earlier version" meant the previous
on-line version.  That's why I asked about show/hide.

Thanks
Joel