gone parabolic (UNCLASSIFIED)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 2 22:26:49 UTC 2010

@Bill--Our disagreement is not in the general description, but in the
division of assets, so to speak. My calculations use the fact that the
stock price first reached 100 in the last week of April and that period
in question only goes back to the beginning of the year, not last
November. So the rise from 50 to 100 took only 4 months, not 6. After
that, the stock slowed down before picking up pace again. So it took
another 7 months to double again. So, if we use these benchmarks,
instead of the six-month split, we have essentially linear growth. The
article specifically refers to the period from January to December 1.
Other than that we appear to be splitting hairs. In reality, because of
the fairly clean data, both linear and exponential models would offer a
fairly good fit. But the graph lacks a basic feature of a classic
exponential model--if you connect the endpoints with a straight line,
most of the exponential data and all of the model would be below that
line. This is not the case here.

@Joel--the short answer is no. It is hyperbola that approaches a
straight line as you move away from center, not parabola. Quadratic
growth ALWAYS exceeds linear growth /eventually/, no matter what the
linear growth rate is. Exponential growth, on the other hand, ALWAYS
exceeds polynomial growth /eventually/, no matter what the degree of the
polynomial is. To put is simply, a parabolic curve is one of /constant
acceleration/, so it would be inaccurate to describe it as you did.

     VS-)