gone parabolic (UNCLASSIFIED)

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Fri Dec 3 13:56:05 UTC 2010

At 12/2/2010 11:27 PM, Robin Hamilton wrote:

><<
>But I now wonder if there's another source of the "gone parabolic" --
>the writer first conflated "hyperbole/hyperbolic" (thinking of the
>growth as "excessive") with "hyperbola/hyperbolic", and then somehow
>chose a different conic section, the parabola?
>
>Joel
>
>"Gone ballistic", in that the trajectory of an artillery shell describes a
>parabola?
>
>Robin

Perhaps not the best metaphor for exponential (speaking figuratively)
growth -- an artillery shell eventually intersects the sphere of the
earth (unless, of course, it was initiated with escape velocity).

Joel

Agreed.  I was positing the possible double confusion you drew attention
to -- the inappropriate curve of the ballistic parabola being conflated with
the sound of the intended word hyperbola to produce "gone parabolic".

Ola -la -- enough to make anyone go postal.

Robin