antedating bitching (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Dec 3 20:57:02 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Your New Yorker quote is an antedating of the gerund noun (I think), but
aren't the other two just verb forms of OED v.2 3.intr "to grumble,
complain" which is already cited back to 1930?

I get confused on issues like this -- it's been too long since I
diagrammed sentences and had to figure out exactly what part of speech a
particular word is.

Behalf Of

----------------------

------
> -
>
> Not predating the other 2 I just posted, but confirming the general
> sentiment and context--/and/, this time, with a firm date! [GB full
view]

> http://goo.gl/kJigR
> The Rotarian, Sep 1945
> Now That I'm Home. By Captain Darrel L. Brady. p. 12
> > Frankly, I'm doing what we call "bitching" in the service. You
perhaps
> > are fed up with it. In the service we know it is a wholesome sign of
> > normal morale as long as the men keep "bitching." When they stop, we
> > look for trouble. So while I am at it I'll go on to air one of the
> > biggest gripes of the men doing the fighting.
>
> I really should not have pulled the trigger so fast on this bunch. I
am
> sure the date will get pushed down further by close inspection of
> newspaper archives.
>
> There is also an intriguing item from 1846, but it needs to be
> investigated further...
>
>      VS-)
>
> On 12/3/2010 2:55 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:
> > Further still, but completely unverified.
> >
> > http://goo.gl/RGyKU
> > Very truly ours: Letters from America's fighting men. James Waterman
Wise

http://caltechcampuspubs.library.caltech.edu/273/1/1949_04_14_50_23.pdf