one-drop rule

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 4 02:06:26 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Darla Wells <lethe9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> it seems to be a local custom to consider black Cajuns to be Creole.

Yes, Darla! That was what I was trying to get at in our off-list
commo-chat, as well as the peculiar (only to Saint Louis?)
pronunciation of the word as "KREE-awl" and not "KREE-ole."

Paul, I've lived through times when the mere fact that it once had
some kind of connection with the state of Alabama was enough to keep
me from having anything to do with the ADS. My father was a native
Alabamian who hated his home-state to the point that he went out of
his way to ensure that none of his three children was born there,
considering even Texas, the site of "The Waco Horror" - two back
youths hung hand and foot from a tree limb and roasted alive over a
slow fire - to be a better place. It's not as though I hold you or
anyone else personally responsible for the history of the United
States. But I feel driven by my personal experience of the way that
things are, as opposed to the way that people want to claim that they
are, to see to it that "trivial" error doesn't become lodged in
someone's mind as "truth" because he read it somewhere.

i'm well aware that someone with the best of intentions can fail to
see wherein lies a problem. In my lamentable youth, I couldn't
understand what the problem was WRT to anti-Semitism was. If the only
problem that you have is based upon your own insistence upon
announcing your adherence to some random religion, WTF? Simply
convert! Or go on the down-low! Is that so hard?! Serious nasal
proclivity? Y'all *own* cosmetic surgery! "Bad" hair giving you away?
Go to the 'hood to to get your wig cultivated. That's what the Jersey
Shores dude did. As "Dr. Taub" of the TV show, House, once observed
WRT to himself,

"... _I'm white_, I'm a Jew ..."

As I pointed out to my wife, now there's a man who *definitely* has
his priorities in order!

Of course, it wasn't the case that I've ever considered myself to be
in the least degree anti-Semitic. It's just that, at the time, I
didn't see how there could be any kind of problem for a people
generally regarded as being white, as opposed to all of the problems
that accrue to a people absolutely regarded as un-white under *any*
circumstances, therefore regarded as never being worthy of the least
consideration by *everyone*,  including the members of that subset of
humanity themselves. In Boston a while back, two white men got hired
as firemen under Affirmative Action. Really! How  were they able to
pull that off? Well, it was not in the least any kind of problem. They
merely stated that they were black. But, couldn't people see and hear
that they were white? Not at all, once that they had stated publicly
that they were black. What kind of fool would a person have to be in
order to assert in the public square that he's a nigger, if he's not
one? That makes absolutely no sense! Well, of course, these men had
the intention - according to them - of shining a bright light on the
hypocrisy of Affirmative Action, which unlawfully deprives deserving
white men of their God-given rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit
of happiness. After these men, as white men, had failed the
civil-service exam for firefighter three times, they lost any further
chance at becoming firefighters. But, once that they said that they
were supposedly "black," why, they were able to walk right in to great
jobs! Whoa! Nobody ever explained it to me that way before! AA is just
a scam foisted upon the white working-man by limousine-liberals who
live off their inheritances and off the sweat of their brows. Yes! Now
you get the picture! That's why Obama has to re-instate the income and
inheritance taxes that affect only the top 2% of American households!
Obama?! Isn't he that black guy? Not at all! He's only *part*-black.
"*Part*-black"? WTF are you talking about? That's a concept empty of
content! A person can be white and part-Canadian or part-Jewish. Why,
a person can even be white and part-Mexican, for that matter. But
"part-black" carries no meaning whatsoever. A person is black. Period.
Of course, it's an ill wind that blows nobody good. Since there's no
way to escape blackness, blacks have more political power than they
would otherwise have, if a person really had to be black in order to
be black.

Youneverknow.

Way back when, there was a bitter joke to the effect that the solution
to The Negro Problem was trivial. Merely have the FDA or, better, the
CDC, announce that an anti-nigritude serum, guaranteed to remove all
visible traces of sub-Saharan African ancestry, had been discovered,
but there was enough for only half of the colored population,
available on a first-come, first-served basis. The ensuing battle for
access to the drug should lead to a natural reduction of the Negro
population. And the beauty part of it is that not a penny need be
wasted on actual research. The simple claim that such a drug existed
would be sufficient to spark an intra-*racial* war!

--
-Wilson
–––

Once we recognize that we do not err out of laziness, stupidity,
or evil intent, we can uncumber ourselves of the impossible burden of
trying to be permanently right. We can take seriously the proposition
that we could be in error, without necessarily deeming ourselves
idiotic or unworthy.
–Kathryn Schulz