chuckie

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sun Dec 5 00:00:34 UTC 2010

<<
>The examples of post-1979 "chuck[ies]"
>would seem to be late (semi-independent?) coinages, formed from CHUCK. v.
>"to throw".

As I said, (perhaps) earlier (than Robin's failed message), thrown
into the loch.  "I chucked the chuckie ..."?

Joel

There does seem to be a degree of semantic contamination at work.  One
problem with a direct etymological derivation of "chuckie" (stone) from
[OED] CHUCK v.2 " [Sense] 2. a. To throw with the hand with little action of
the arm," is that this sense of "chuck"=throw isn't particularly Scottish.
As for (up)chuck for "to vomit", well ...

Then there's "chuck" in the singular as a marble [or bool], also a curling
stone, also ...

I haven't managed to digest the entire set of entries and citations from the
SND, so I may have missed something.

Something of a  lexical charivari, really.  Still, it's a nice wee word, and
dead couthie.  Sort of object you'd pick up in the kaiilyard and throw
through the window of a house with green shutters before retiring
precipitately to the sanctuary of a nearby bonny briar bush.

Robin