Antedating of "Initialism"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Dec 6 16:21:43 UTC 2010

Yes, I failed to check the archives.  If I had, I would have found that Victor gave the 1844 occurrence of _initialism_ in a posting in March.

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Victor Steinbok [aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2010 5:50 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Antedating of "Initialism"

I thought I'd found an 1844 citation back in March... In fact, the N&Q
citation refers specifically to name initialism, introduced as a term by
Ralph Thomas (apparently) only a couple of years earlier. And I posted
Thomas's original source link back then as well. I can check the
archives for the links, but so can anyone else.

     VS-)

PS: I know it was posted to the list and not lost in the mail somewhere
because I had got replies ON the list from several people.