Antedating of "Orientalism"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Dec 7 12:38:54 UTC 2010

orientalism (OED3 1769)

1747 Joseph Spence _An Essay on Mr. Pope's Odyssey_ 189 (Eighteenth Century Collections Online)  This whole prophetical vision of the fall of the suitors, is the _true sublime_; and, in particular, gives us an higher _Orientalism_ than we meet with in any other part of Homer's writings.  You will pardon me a new word, where we have no old one to my purpose:  You know what I mean, that _Eastern way of expressing revolutions in government, by a confusion or extinction of light in the heavens_.

Fred Shapiro