no fun with pronouns

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Dec 7 18:43:33 UTC 2010

At 1:19 PM -0500 12/7/10, Ronald Butters wrote:
>Where is the "pronominal confusion"? There are only two pronouns,
>both of which refer to some person who was mentioned in context that
>Victor does not give. Even "the man who has angered Washington" is
>clearly a deictic reference to the same person. There is nothing
>remarkable or noteworthy whatever about the sentence (except that we
>are not given the immediately preceding context). f

one aspect of the pronominal usage that's potentially noteworthy is
the use of "his" and "him" in that syntactic position with respect to
their apparent antecedent, "the man who..."  Depending on the actual
syntactic frame, this is often impossible ("His mother talked to him
about the WikiLeaks founder") or difficult (in "His teammates resent
him more than the great Yankee shortstop realizes" is a bit tricky to
get backwards co-reference with all 3 nominals referring to Derek
Jeter).  I do find the passage below hard to follow with the intended
co-reference, although if Assange had just been mentioned in the
preceding sentence, it's not impossible.

LH