no fun with pronouns

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Wed Dec 8 18:02:48 UTC 2010

Even if we take the quote out of context, as Barbara and Larry do, we have nothing more than a case of forward reference (I called it DEIXIS, but some would prefer to call it ANAPHORA , aka CATAPHORA), examples of which abound in textbooks (as Larry and Barbara acknowledge). It is a commonplace observation that forward reference is somewhat more difficult to process than backward reference, and the fact that Barbara briefly felt a bit of confusion is not surprising, nor does it seem likely that the degree of her confusion could have been very significant (a number of people have written to me offline to say that they had no trouble whatever interpreting the sentence).

      Again, however (contrary to Robin’s assertion that Victor gave “quite enough” context), even the small degree of “confusion” available in the quote stems almost entirely from the fact that Victor quoted the sentence out of context. In the context of the preceding sentences—see below--it is clear that there is NO FORWARD ANAPHORA WHATSOEVER to cause Barbara any “shock.”

     I suppose it is fair to say (even if it is a commonplace of Freshman English 101) that any sentence containing a sequence of several pronouns and pronoun-like noun usages begins to offer the opportunity for reader confusion about what referents are intended, especially when the referring noun is a number of words away from the antecedent. However, in the case of Victor’s sentences, the (full) context constricts the opportunity for inferring that “the man” refers to anyone other than the antecedent that “his” and “him” refer to (note that it is “the man” and not “a man,” the latter of which, as a more likely introducer of “new” material, would offer some opportunity for inferring that “man” was someone other than Assange).

By the way, the link that VS provided in his original posting did not actually connect to the story that he was quoting. The CORRECT link is

<http://bltwy.msnbc.msn.com/politics/wikileaks-founder-julian-assange-arrested-1669117.story>.

(VS’s tiny url takes you to a different story: <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40544697/ns/us_news-wikileaks_in_security/>).

The larger context is as follows:

WIKILEAKS FOUNDER JULIAN ASSANGE ARRESTED

MSNBC Politics, Monday, December 6, 2010, 6:34pm (PST)

LONDON - British police arrested WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange Tuesday on a European warrant issued by Sweden, London's Metropolitan Police said.

Swedish prosecutors issued the arrest order for the 39-year-old Australian who is wanted in Sweden on suspicion of committing sexual crimes, which he denies.

His lawyer had earlier arranged to deliver him to British police for questioning in a sex-crimes investigation of the man who has angered Washington by spilling thousands of government secrets on the Internet.